Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hanging out with the 'stars' in Hollywood... David Lee Fischer's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari DVD Release Party


So my lady and I spent last night at the DVD release party for the 'new' THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (2005, David Lee Fischer, Highlander Films). Some of you might have heard about it, utilizing green screen technology and clever high definition photography and digital compositing it's an exact remake of the 1920 Robert Weine film Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari-- but with English dialog. (The original, for those who don't know, was silent!)

Now, I haven't had a chance to see the film yet (but that's not unusual here in Hollywood, because, you know, you don't actually have to know anything about the production to enjoy their drinks and finger foods), but I am looking forward to checking it out. Additionally, I did meet a number of people involved in the production including: the director David Lee Fischer, who is a supremely nice chap, and veteran character actor Richard Herd, who is a... character and a passionate African mask artist (apparently?!). Also in attendance, but I didn't have the wherewithal to meet (since I didn't really know what to say) was... Ernest Hudson! I couldn't stop thinking of that Ghostbusters line, "I've seen shit with these guys that would turn you white!" (Wait, is that even right??)

Anyhoo, it was an interesting time all around and some work might come out of it-- at least, that's my wishful thinking...

Update: My friend Dan has pointed me to Richard Herd's "My Paintings" website. Worth a gander...

No comments: